The Technology Department has compiled the following tips to improve student and staff video conferencing performance for Webex and Google.
- Close all unnecessary programs or apps on your device before joining a video conference.
- Close all unnecessary tabs in your browser.
- Make sure that you have applied all updates and patches to your operating system and browser. Reboot your computer at least once a day.
- If you are using a Windows or Mac computer, use the Webex Meetings client software available for download here - https://www.webex.com/downloads.html/
- Make sure that you are located in an area of your home that has a strong WIFI signal (same is true if you are connecting via a cellular connection).
- Reboot your Router once a month by unplugging the power cord, waiting 15 seconds and then plugging it back in. Wait 5 minutes and then try going online.
- Mute your microphone whenever possible to prevent picking up background noise.
- Disconnect or turn off any unused devices from your WIFI network. Do not stream videos or play video games during instructional time.
- Add @webex.com to your safe sender list in your e-mail application so you do not miss Webex meeting invites.
- Check your internet connection using one of these tools - https://mediatest.ciscospark.com/#/main or https://www.speedtest.net/
- If you continue to have problems, send your name, school, class, a description of your hardware and the speed test results to ITHelpDesk@westfieldnjk12.org for assistance.
Source: Westfield Public Schools