What does a school nurse do?
1. Administers care for all ill or injured students and staff that occur during the school day.
2. Identifies children who may need to be excluded from school for health reasons.
3. Screens all students for vision and hearing according to district guidelines.
4. Maintains health records on all students. Validates the immunization and physical exam records as being complete.
5. Formulates and implements individualized health care plans for students with special health needs.
6. Communicates special health needs of students to appropirate staff with parental permission.
7. Administers prescription and/or over-the-counter medications with written authorization by both physician and parents.
8. Provides health teaching and counseling for students, families and staff.
9. Implements the district health education curriculum through formal classroom instruction.
10. Coordinates emergency management plans.